Martin Konold wrote: Unusual times are dawning -- this must be about the longest email by you, Martin, that I have ever read" ;-) > Am Samstag, 29. M?rz 2003 01:51 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle: > > Hi Dirk, > Hi Kurt, > > >>Dirk Mueller wrote on kde-promo: > > >>>might be interesting. >> >>Definitely it *IS* interesting > > > I very much agree with Kurt here. After the NX stuff was announced on the > xfree forum ml I gave it a try. These guys really make it right! They > definetly know what they are doing. Especially I checked their low latency > stuff and the persistent file based cache. > > >>I am testdriving NX since a few days and this is by *far* the fastest >>"remote destop-ing" system I have ever seen. The performance across >>an internet link is really astonishing. It is better than what I have >>even on my LAN (or via a crosslink cable between desktop and laptop) >>using krdc/krfb! > > > Kurt: You are comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruit. > Instead of comparing NX with vnc > you should compare it to pure X11. I've done that too (but forgot to mention) and NX is far faster than pure X. > X11 already knows about all the remote > desktop features of NX. NX basically modifies X11 in a way LBX always tried > but never succeeded. > > Still NX is an extreme improvement to XFree86. > > >>[Be >>warned: you will be encountering a semi-broken RedHat desktop there -- but >>I think Gian Filippos offer to help develop an Open Source version of NX is >>worth while exploring.] >> >>A KDE version of NX could be a reall killer application for its usage >>on the desktop in large offices and organizations. > > > The NX Client already works nicely with KDE. Yes -- but NX is planned to be a *sold*, commercial product. (Dunno about the pure *client*, but at least the part called "NX server" is. OTOH, NoMachine have publically offered to support the development of a free (as in beer, and as in freedom) KDE (and GNOME) version of a GUI frontend. The core NX libraries are already GPL (and may be used on the commandline to do what NX frontends do in a more intuitive way. > Actually when playing an mp3 > remotely the client already proxies the audio stream to my local artsd. Ah -- you even got that to work for you. I didn't succeed. > Even > klipper works as expected. Of course native KDE config dialogs etc. would be > nice. Maybe even some D&D could lead to interesting usage patterns. > > >>NX seems to be able provide (clustered) application servers, which can >>serve and satisfy hundreds or even thousands of client machines. It will >>open the door to a new kind of "network computing" for many users. > > > X11 was able to do this for many years! No. Not really. Only in theory. Since performance sucked, no-one really did it set up as the standard way to do enterprise-wide computing. With the NX technology, I think it could become a real option. > So in order not to repeat myself to > often: > > - The main thing NX does is on one hand a much more efficient version of the > X11 protocol and on the other hand providing a lean and free (as in beer) > client for many operating systems incl. Unix/Linux, Windows, Opie, > Symbian.... > > IMHO the main feature with regards to kde-promo and NX is that NX finally > makes thin client / fat server computing a REAL alternativ. Sofar ICA was 20 > times better than the bloated X11 protocoll. > > Regards, > -- martin > P.S.: My NX testdrive was my first real usage of the RH KDE setup. Oh my god > it is really _extremly_ broken :-(( I warned you... But it shouldn't stop everyone to testdrive NX. "The proof for the pudding lies in the eating": http://www.nomachine.com/testdrive.php > Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold > Cheers, Kurt >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<