List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Consistency/Look&Feel in renamedlg
From:       Fabian Wolf <fabianw () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-03-24 16:17:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

Hi!

After working on a new renamedlg (is there a more tongue friendly name?) for
audio files (as it can be seen in the attached screenshot - Dialog 3), I was
thinking if the current look might not better be exchanged in favour of a
more consistent look across the different dialogs.
The standard dialog (see Dialog 1) arranges the new/source file below the
existing one. The file name is shown three(!) times in the entire dialog
(neccessary?) .
The current image dialog (see Dialog 2) arranges them in the same order only
next to each other, even though I don't really like it that way - Everytime I
see this dialog it takes me a couple of seconds to figure out which file is
the one that's about to be overwritten. Maybe because something like "Source
File" and "Existing File" which is easy to recognize at a glance is missing
and one has to read (and understand) the entire explanation above - it looks
nice though.
The audio dialog (Dialog 3) looks similar, however the first thing it tells is
which file is the existent one and which one's the source.
One thing I'd like to know is if the look would better be the one of the
standard dialog - stacked, one below the other.
Dialog 4 shows some ideas on what could be added - would that be too much
information?
What do others think on how those dialogs should look like? What kinda style?
Consistent or however they look best?

Cheers,
Fabian

--
* 100,000 lemmings can't be wrong
["Dialog 3 - Current audio dialog.png" (image/png)]