List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Build 3.1.1 - KDM no logon (as usual...)
From:       Robin Atwood <robin.atwood () attglobal ! net>
Date:       2003-03-29 19:03:20

I had long since been resigned that Red Hat must patch KDM somehow, because
with RH 7.x whenever I compiled my own KDE 3.0.x, KDM would show 'logon
failed!' for any logon attempt (with no other error messages in any logs).
The only solution was to revert the KDM module  to the original RH-supplied
binary. I have reported this here before but never received any useful
suggestions.

So imagine my surprise when I built 3.1 against RH 8.0.93 and KDM worked out
of the box! Problem solved I thought. Alas, I have just built 3.1.1 over 3.1
and KDM stopped working again. I reverted the three kdm* binaries and
'/usr/share/config/kdm/*' to the 3.1 versions but still no login. There is
clearly some weird stuff going on here.

What is /usr/share/config/kdm/* for? It is apparently generated during compile
time. The files built for 3.1.1 were not the same (and fewer) than those for
3.1. Maybe a subsequent generation fails? What is the relationship to the
proper files in /etc/X11/xdm? That is the Xsession I want executed so that
any extra window managers I install are picked up. It is clear at the moment
that Xsession is not executed at all because $HOME/.xsession-errors is not
created.

Any insights to finally get to the bottom of this would be appreciated, since
I have to use GDM at the moment!
TIA
-Robin.
Robin Atwood.

"This tag line left intentionally blank"