List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: pkg-config, glib2 etc.
From:       Sean McGlynn <sean () tmiau ! com>
Date:       2003-03-17 3:02:26

Hello Pablo,

On Monday 17 March 2003 02:22, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 03:42:49PM -0600, Mosfet wrote:
> > KDE really needs to set limits on what and what is not acceptable in it's
> > core packages.
>
> I don't see requiring libglib any more "unacceptable" than requiring libz
> or libpng...

I think the basic argument is that libpng and libz, for instance, provide
functionality that KDE doesn't already have, whereas glib duplicates
functionality that KDE *does* already have.

There is also the underlying feeling in some people's minds, (if I may be
allowed to mind read for a minute :-), that more and more little requirements
are being proposed for or added to KDE, even though they aren't of a direct
benefit to KDE itself, but to underlying desktop compatibility; (DBus versus
DCOP springs to mind). Some people thinks this is a good idea and some don't.

Personally, for now, I'm just watching things with interest to see how they
go (and practising my mind reading ;-)

Cheers,
Sean
--
Sean McGlynn
sean@tmiau.com

Going into a war without France is like going deer hunting without an
accordion player.
(borrowed from kuro5hin.org posting ;-)