List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: pkg-config, glib2 etc.
From:       Pablo Saratxaga <pablo () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2003-03-17 2:22:04

Kaixo!

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 03:42:49PM -0600, Mosfet wrote:

> This is reasonable for pkg-config, but not preferable. It would be preferable
> for standard components to use standard C or C++. I know it's probably
> convienent for GTK coders to use Glib, I know I am always wanting to use Qt
> templates whenever I am writing non-Qt C++ code, but I wouldn't do that if I
> was trying to get something accepted as a desktop neutral standard.

Yes, because Qt depends on libqt...
but what if they were a "libfoo" with some of the functions on Qt
so you could use them without having a dependency on the Qt toolkit?

> It worries me that the standards being pushed by freedesktop.org went from
> specifications that people can implement efficently for either desktop to
> requiring more and more GTK/Gnome depedencies.

libglib isn't GTK/Gnome.

libglib is just some extensions to basic libc, some functions that it would
habe been nice to have in standard libc from the beginning, but aren't
because libc implements only standard C, which is quite conservative.

libglib doesn't even require X11, much less gtk; I don't understand why
you push that false argument that using libglib would be "requiring
gtk dependencies"; it is just plainly wrong. libglib is not more tied
to gtk than, for example, libz or libpam.

"passwd", the command to change passwords in the command line on a
GNU/Linux system, a command line only program, uses libglib; so, on any
GNU/Linux system, libglib is already a requirement, at the same level
of basic requirement as having libc or libz: you simply won't find any
system without it.

You advocate on writting in raw C instead of using libglib; yes that's
possible, but it's reinventing the wheel, and reimplemnting again and again
the same routines on every single program, something which is not only
a real waste, but also very bug prone.

> KDE really needs to set limits on what and what is not acceptable in it's core
> packages.

I don't see requiring libglib any more "unacceptable" than requiring libz
or libpng...

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]