List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Posix ACLs
From:       Szombathelyi_György <gyurco () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2003-03-14 8:37:16

David Faure wrote:

> Looks fine to me (with 0 knowledge about file ACLs though).

I'm encountered with ACLs three weeks ago, I think they are pretty easy
to understand. The main point: with standard unix permissions, you can
assign permissions to _one_ user and _one_ group. With ACLs, you can
assign permissions to _any_ number of users and _any_ number of groups.

> Ah one thing that looks wrong is that some of the new UDS types have
> both UDS_LONG and UDS_STRING. That's impossible. An UDS atom
> has a union containing either long or string, and UDS_LONG or
> UDS_STRING says which one to use.

Then it's a problem, because the ACL_USER and ACL_GROUP entry need to
store the user (or group) id with his/her permissions.

Maybe a metadata only design is possible? E.g stat() returns metadata
for the ACLs, listDir() returns only an UDS entry like UDS_EXTENDED_ACL
if there is any ACL associated with the file, so Konqueror can display
the + sign (as in man acl) after the permissions, and the permission
dialog should stat() the file if only it sees the UDS_EXTENDED_ACL flag.

Best regards,
György