List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: True transparency ala MacOSX
From:       "Per Edin" <per.programmering () telia ! com>
Date:       2003-03-13 23:36:14

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael A Nachbaur" <mike@nachbaur.com>
To: <kde-devel@mail.kde.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 3:58 PM
Subject: True transparency ala MacOSX

> I wanted to know how difficult it would be to implement true transparency
in
> applications like Konsole.  From what I can tell, these applications
simply
> set their background to a region of the desktop wallpaper, and set some
color
> tinting to their image.  What would it take to implement true
transparency,
> similar to how MacOSX does?  I presume OSX uses OpenGL or some other
library
> to set an alpha mask for a given window (or region of a window), but with
it
> you can see through one window and into a window behind it.
>
> This is really convenient, especially when you have a terminal window open
> above a web browser or email window; or have multiple overlapped windows,
> allowing you to do your work in one window while seeing the results of a
> compile or some other long-running process in the background.
>
> Cheers!

That's impossible for the moment, X isn't implemented in the same way that
MacOS X is.
OSX uses layers for each window so it can get the pixel content of that
window even if another
window is ontop. X11 is not like this. I thought to implement true
transparency myself a few
weeks ago but dropped the project very soon.

So, if you want true transparent you would have to rewrite lots of the X11
code too.

Too bad, :(

Regards,
Per Edin