List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QPainter and multi-component beziers
From:       "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2003-03-10 12:57:13

> > > I think the real problem is that KPrinter and friends not allowing custom
> > > Postscript generators.
> > > If this wasn't so, you could plugin your own Postscript generator.
> > > This alone would rather make WYSIWIG work rather problematic, because your
> > > print output would become more capable than your screen output, because
> > > screen could only handley by QPainter.
> > > KPainter tries to solve this problem by making a more capable API available
> > > for screen and print.

> I just had a quick look at kpainter and this looks very promising.
> This is the still missing piece in a full KDE printing system: a
> flexible rendering engine. I think that the KPainter/KPaintDevice
> combination with KPrinter in between could provide a very powerful
> system. At first, you probably can still use QPrinter as rendering
> engine to produce PS, but in the future you can imagine to use our
> own PS generator as well as other format generator like PDF for
> example.

Unfortunately the operator sets for KPainter and QPainter are different.
To prduce Postscript output, I could either start a PostscriptPaintDevice,
i.e. generating pure Postscript, or a QPainterPaintDevice, i.e. generating
QPainter calls, which are later printed.
I like the PostscriptPaintDevice approach better.

Regards
Dirk