List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QPainter and multi-component beziers
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2003-03-10 9:33:25

> > QT does not allow PostScript input either. (That is one of our biggest
> > problems in KOffice.)
>
> I think the real problem is that KPrinter and friends not allowing custom
> Postscript generators.
> If this wasn't so, you could plugin your own Postscript generator.
> This alone would rather make WYSIWIG work rather problematic, because your
> print output would become more capable than your screen output, because
> screen could only handley by QPainter.
> KPainter tries to solve this problem by making a more capable API available
> for screen and print.

The current implementation of KPrinter could provide such a feature:
I mean to switch to another rendering engine. Indeed, currently
KPrinter uses internally QPrinter as a PS generator: any drawing
primitive command is redirected to that generator. It's fairly easy
to use another rendering engine within KPrinter. OTOH you're limited
to the capabilities of QPainter which produces the drawing primitive
commands. But if on the other side, you use a more powerful and
customized KPainter, then it starts to make sense.

Michael.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM