List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Antialiasing fonts in in KDE did not work with XFree86 4.3 [solution included]
From:       Erik Sigra <sigra () home ! se>
Date:       2003-03-10 0:16:50

onsdagen den 5 mars 2003 09.09 skrev Thomas Reitelbach:
> Hello list,
>
> i recently updated my XFree86 to 4.3 and afterwards my fonts in KDE HEAD
> were not antialiased anymore.
>
> For all you that may have the same problem after an update to XFree86 4.3:
> With the new release they changed the standard TrueType font directory. The
> old directory was /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype, the new one is renamed
> to TTF.
> The result is that the standard truetype fonts cannot be found by
> KDE/XFree86 when you use your old XF86Config file, so font antialiasing
> does not work.
>
> Either creating a link from truetype -> TTF or modifying XF86Config
> resolves this problem.
>
> I hope this little hint can save some of you guys some time :-)

I also tried to upgrade my XFree86 to 4.3 and I saw no problem with
antialiased fonts. But I got a much worse problem; I could no longer type
properly in Emacs. Characters like едц did not appear. Not even with
diaresis+o. When I executed emacs from Konsole I got:
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default

KDE applications did not have this problem. Switching back to xfree86-4.2.1
helped. I hope I won't be alone with this problem when I really have to
upgrade one day...