List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QPainter and multi-component beziers
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2003-03-09 8:59:39

Postscript

> > If there is a need for KPainter, and if there exist a Postscript output
> > device, I see no big technical difficulties...

> Hmmm... but printing is not only PostScript. IMHO something
> with smaller and more powerful API than QPainter would do good
> (there can, of course be QPainter class on top of that).

KPainter is not about printing using the existing print queues (LPD, CUPS
and the like). That's what KPrinter and friends is for.
WHat KPainter could technically provide, is a Postscript generator which can
be "programmed" in a more Postscript like way, i.e. a KPainter API call to
"translate(10,10)" generates the Postscript call  of "10 10 translate". If
such a generator / backend exists, it could hopefully easy used in KPrinter.
This could make necessary some changes in KPrinter code, but it is in state
of rewrite anyway, I believe.

Unfortunately I have not much time to create a Postscript based backend for
KPainter myself, I am to busy in the libart based backend...

> > For screen display using X you could check out Xr/Xc and the XRENDER
> > extension.

Regards
Dirk