List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KSplash/ML donation?
From:       Mosfet <dan.duley () verizon ! net>
Date:       2003-03-08 19:31:01

Okay, I now subscribed to kde-devel instead of kde-usability since more stuff
seems to go on here. You don't need to CC anymore :)

On Saturday 08 March 2003 12:18 pm, you wrote:
> On Samstag, 8. März 2003 18:44, Mosfet wrote:
> > Okay, my last email was pretty harsh too ;-)
>
> Ok thank you :-) I was quite shocked when I read that one and thought OMG
> what did I do to him ? :-)
... snip...

Just a little pissed off because of what I mentioned. np.

...snip...
> Hm, yes. The thing that we are discussing is just the theme manager but of
> course, the theme designer is the next logical step. Otherwise we'll never
> end up with correct, neatly integrated themes. Regarding styles, I think
> one thing that a theme designer *could* do is just save a list of preferred
> stlyes that match the creator's taste what he thinks matches best to the
> theme. If that theme isn't installed, fall back to another theme and if
> that's not there, a third one as a maximum that a designer could name in
> the theme rc file. If neither is available, don't change it and stick with
> the current one.
...snip...

Don't know about this. If someone is trying to install Liquid I doubt that
they want to end up with Platinum ;-)

> The issue with the control modules is more or less that what I mentioned -
> kpersonalizer does already do a good job but it was a PITA to sort out
> everything and to write settings into rc files where I cannot always be
> sure that module xyz didn't change the format and storage location. So
> that's why I think that the dcop functions of the according desktop parts
> should handle setting a theme (most of them do support that already or we
> just restart a certain part like kicker) but most importantly support
> writing a style after checking that it can be applied (i.e. for instance, a
> style is installed -> switch to the style -> success -> save setting
> automatically). That's what's missing in the infrastructure in the first
> place to make applying themes as fool-proof as possible. What do you think
> ?

Basically what I think your saying is that a) the application of various theme
components needs to be encapsulated into some sort of standard API. I don't
know if DCOP is the answer or doing an actual library is, but I agree either
way. Theme installers get pretty darn messy otherwise with bits of code
modifying all sorts of app config files. I'm not too concerned about config
keys changing, just that it's messy and prone to error.

As for b) I'm interpreting this to mean that you want to be able preview
configuration changes before actually writing them permanently to a config
file. I'd go one step further. The theme manager needs to be able to do both
that and have some mechanism to change the settings of KDE Control Center
modules before applying. Let's take wallpapers for example. I'd like the user
to be able to both preview the wallpaper and modify it's settings like
"tiled, centered, scaled, etc..." before applying. But the only way to get
the background control center module to run with the new wallpaper set is by
writing it to the config file first. This wouldn't let you cancel it. I ran
into this problem with my replacement image part for Konq. It can set images
as the background wallpaper but I wanted people to be able to configure it
first. I couldn't get the control module to display the new one without
applying it to the config file first. No good so I had to include my own.