List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QPainter and multi-component beziers
From:       Lauris Kaplinski <lauris () kaplinski ! com>
Date:       2003-03-08 10:24:51

Hello!

Thank you for answer!

On sam, 2003-03-08 at 09:39, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
> > Is it possible to draw multipath beziers (or multipart
> > polygons, as I can convert beziers in driver) with QPainter?
> > I.e. things like donut with hole.
>
> Not really.

I see (I was probably so used to libart/PS to expecting
that feature as granted - but now thinking about it, Gdk does
not have multipath polygons as well).

> > Digging in KDE print and Qt references, did not reveal
> > anything helpful (please forgive my ignorance, if I overlooked
> > something trivial, as this is my first flirt with Qt/KDE).
>
> > My questions
> >- is this possible in standard way with QPainter?
>
> No standard way
>
> > - if not, can some KDE specific module do that?
>
> Well there is karbon14. A IMHO more generalized module of a Postscript like
> rendering
> model you can find in kdenonbeta/kpainter. This is a rather young project
> with many missing features. The idea is that you can implement your own
> paint devices which do the actual rendering.
> Currently only a libart based paint device is implemented.

And KPrint will use this in future, I suppose...

> > - if not, how are KOffice/Karbon14 solved that problem?
>
> Not quite. Karbon14 uses libart based rendering, i.e. rendering to bitmap.
> There exist a QPainter based rendering, but this only implements wire-frame,
> i.e. no filled paths.

I see. So bitmap is currently the only option - this is mostly
OK (after all bitmap is the only way to get guaranteed 99.99%
identical printout). My basic concern are people wanting to print
A0/A1 posters.

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski