List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New Sidebar Module
From:       "Nicholas Hagen" <tommy () zidnet ! net>
Date:       2003-03-03 18:40:02

I will attempt to hit on all the comments in all the previous replies:

1.  I agree the media player is more geared to the task of playing sound
files and what not, but IMO having one main center for seeing information,
viewing images, playing sounds/videos, and doing common tasks is an easy way
for beginners (and even experts in a sense) to know what to do with a
particular file, rather than having to search for the functionality.
Sidebars are becoming more and more prevalent in UI's and are containing
many different types of functionality in order to show the user what they
can do with a certain file or system.

2.  I also agree with the "x" meaning it should close.  For proof-of-concept
purposes, it was the most easy :)  I would like to change it to either a
minimize symbol or a down arrow/up arrow.  It might even make sense to have
both an "x" and minimize or arrows so that a user could either completely
close a section or just minimize the contents.

3.  The style also needs to be geared more towards KDE.  As mentioned, I do
more with Qt than KDE, so I still need to examine as to making it more
KDE-like in nature, so that depending on the user's style it will change
correspondingly.  Right now, the blue is hardcoded in, but that will change.

4.  I will attempt to merge the sidebar module from kdenonbeta with this one
and make a much improved interface with additional functionality.  I can
maintain this.  For now, I will just work off my existing box and make
updates available on my website.  Maybe after functionality is complete and
KDE-compliance met, we can put it into a CVS module somewhere.

5.  I have not looked at the kde-usability list as a way to handle "common
tasks' but I will do that this week.  It may provide good insight.

6.  Note that much of this is still proof-of-concept and I did much of it
within a few days (thanks to the great framework of KDE that makes this
possible).  Hopefully over the next few weeks I can improve it, merge the
two source trees, and make it much more functional.  The base is functional,
but much more needs to become that way.

Thanks,
Nick