List:       kde-devel
Subject:    New Sidebar Module
From:       "Nicholas Hagen" <tommy () zidnet ! net>
Date:       2003-02-28 23:30:31

I have created a new sidebar module that shows the Mime/Meta Info in the
sidebar (kind of like how IE and oher file managers show stuff).  It is a
work in progress, but a working copy.  Right now it just shows the Filename,
Size, Content Type, Meta Info if available, and permissions.  The Copy File,
Remove File, and Open File and other tasks will eventually become links that
clicking on will conduct the associated action.  The "x" for closing the
various sections also does not do anything yet.  Once it does work it will
cause the section to fold and only display the title, not the contents.  I
also plan on adding a Preview section that will include an embedded media
player if a sound file is selected, a video player if a video file is
selected, an image viewer if an image is selected, and another other viewer
if supported in Konqueror (ie: Koffice, text, HTML, PDF, etc etc).
Non-supported files will not include a Preview section.

I have included the source and a picture.  Right now, much of the source is
in Qt, and not
KDE specific.  I do more Qt programming then KDE programming.  Hopefully
next week I can change the source over to KDE and clean it up a bit.  If
anyone is interested in the source, let me know.

To view the source and preview go to:
http://www.zidnet.net/sidebar/mime_info.html

Thanks,
Nick