List:       kde-devel
Subject:    libtool 1.5 CVS, linking issues and KDE (was Re: "suspicious headers")
From:       Benjamin Reed <ranger () befunk ! com>
Date:       2003-02-28 1:16:18

Christopher Molnar wrote:
> Ben,
>
> I am sorry for not seeing this earlier, I have been BURIED in work and
> email for the last week, my kde-devel is way up over 1800 messages
> currently. not good :-(

That's OK, I just got really lost when I got no feedback from the -admin
address, turns out I wanted -owner.  =)

> I have no idea what the "suspicious headers" message means. I am copying
> sysadmin on this response so maybe we can all become enlightened. I do
> not think this is something I have the ability to set or change.

I believe it was Waldo who pointed out that subjects with "admin" in
them get held because they could be responses to private admin e-mail
that shouldn't go to the list.

Sorry about the trouble, my patch has now made it to kde-devel, and
hopefully more will be on the way soon as I work through an audit of the
KDE-Darwin tree.  (and hopefully someone will apply it to the admin tree =D)

So as not to make this a totally pointless e-mail, I'd like to note that
there is, in fact, a problem still with libtool 1.5 CVS building KDE for
me, but it is a bug that is being worked on and should be fixed by the
time 1.5 is released.  (It involves linking dynamic libraries against
statics, I believe it may be a MacOSX-specific bug)

Other than that I've so far built up to kdebase using libtool 1.5, and
all seems fine.  Sometime this weekend we should have the library thing
worked out and I'll make sure the rest of KDE builds with 1.5.

Also, this got visited once before when I brought it up, but I do now
have some (rather ugly) patches to pretty much everything in the KDE
arsenal to properly make intermediate libraries for linking instead of
linking binaries against libtool -module's, based on Nick Hudson's
NetBSD stuff.  The original thread:

   http://www.mail-archive.com/libtool@gnu.org/msg03289.html

...spawned a huge discussion on whether kdeinit is still valuable
nowadays (with prelinking becoming common and such), and whether it's
possible to automate the binary/.so-file split without confusing
libtool.  It kind of petered out without resolution, so I figured it'd
be worth bringing up again.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?  I can maintain patches for darwin
indefinitely, but I would much prefer coming up with something clean
that can be incorporated into the build system, then I wouldn't have to
hand-patch stuff all over the place, and it could, in theory, be
automatic for 3rd-party apps that use the KDE admin dir.  IE, some kind
of automake/unsermake macro that would make it possible to do:

   kde_PROGRAMS = foo

...and have it automatically generate the "foo" binary, and the "foo.so"
for kdeinit.

I tried looking into how automake does the bin_PROGRAMS thing to see if
I could extend it, but I completely do not grok automake at all, I
couldn't even find where/how it does it at all.  =)

I guess I'm kind of rambling, I've just been thinking about these things
a lot as I try to clean up my patches for inclusion in KDE...  Ideas?