List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RPM question
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2003-02-26 22:41:24

Rene Gass wrote:
>On Wednesday 26 February 2003 18:05, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> In my case, the library linking against libGL.so.1 is libqt-mt.so.3, which
>> is even outside KDE. The fact that every app uses Qt makes that dependency
>> appear in every KDE application and library.
>
>My libqt-mt.so.3 links against libGL.so.1 and libGLcore.so.1, but if I
>switch2nv and switch2mesasoft, so I'm using the XFree86 nv driver, my
>application no longer links against libGLcore.so.1 but only against
>libGL.so.1, so the dependencies of an application cannot depend on the
>dependencies of libraries it links against.

Of course it can and does. Actually, the dependencies of an application are
the libraries it links against. But since those libraries link against other
libraries and those make up dependencies as well, by proxy you have
dependencies.

In other words, it doesn't matter whether your KDE application demands
libGL.so.1 to be installed or not. The fact that libqt-mt.so.3 does and that
your library depends on Qt makes libGL.so.1 be necessary as well.

If you want more proof to the point, try this:

ldd kmyapp
objdump -p kmyapp | grep -i needed

The first lists all libraries needed to run a given application, while the
second lists the libraries the application specifically links against.

Maybe the automatic dependency should be done from the ELF header, instead of
from ldd's output, but that's an entirely different question and not at all
KDE-related.

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom@mail.com