List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Regarding your pennington reply
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-02-26 20:22:11

Kuba Ober wrote:

>On środa 26 luty 2003 10:57 am, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
>

>>Mosfet wrote:
>>

>>>I didn't say anything about XMLGUI. I said Qt Designer. It generates a
>>>GUI.
>>>

>>No.  Havoc meant autogenerate as in "I got a bunch of strings in memory,
>>let's generate the interface based on that".  I went through that stage
>>myself.  I very well know what he meant.
>>

>Well, but that's exactly what QWidgetFactory and friends do IIRC. So it's
>pretty trivial to "autogenerate" GUI's that way -- you have strings (an XML
>file), you end up with instantiated GUI objects. Isn't that what you mean?

Not really.  What I meant is that, for example, instead of writing a
"Preferences" dialog for your application, you generate it from existing
configuration files, which result in an interface similar to Linuxconf's
(a very ugly one).
An XML file in this case describes the visual and logical layout of a
dialog.  You could say you're autogenerating the GUI, but in reality
you're not: you're generating it from a written description of how it
could be, NOT depending on the dataset loaded in your app, or some data
file, but depending on a previously thought-out dialog layout.  So it's
no more autogenerating than doing it directly in C++ snatched from Qt
designer.

Perhaps you'd like to consult Havoc's idea on what is autogenerating a
GUI.  I have a pretty well defined idea on how it looks like, but I
can't explain it.  Perhaps the right pane of GQ (biot.com/gq - an LDAP
browser) gives you an idea of how crappy it looks.