List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Running konqueror chrooted
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-02-26 18:46:35

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

>Problem:
>A KDE application controlling the system of a set top box is supposed to
>launch Konqueror, Kmail etc. in a chroot jail, so the user doesn't
>accidentally overwrite files needed for the set top box app.
>
>Running konqueror chrooted in this situation leads to a very odd effect:
>pointing it at file:/ [or opening the fileselector] shows the directory
>structure _outside_ the chroot jail.
>
>It's caused by kio_file (and klauncher and friends) running outside the
>chroot jail, since it was started by the controlling app.
>
>Is there any easy workaround I'm overlooking?

Perhaps starting konqueror via a specialized (euphemism for "hacked")
startkde script, that runs inside the chroot jail?  Well, I think the
proper solution is to have that konqueror run as another user (may I
suggest "nobody"?).  That way you'll get what you want.  Otherwise, the
chroot jail forces you to duplicate every file in the chrooted dir,
making your development/maintainance/support somewhat complicated.  Not
to mention that you wouldn't be able to use an RPM-based system then.

A regular user combined with the Kiosk framework may be of use to you.
http://promo.kde.org/3.1/feature_guide.php?page=3
http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-11/kde_01.html

Anyways, not that it surprises me, but it's surely great to hear that
you're using Konqueror in a set-top-box setup.  Kudos and imho, the best
solution you could have come up with.