List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KNetLoad / KCPULoad and panel applets
From:       Ben Burton <bab () debian ! org>
Date:       2003-02-25 6:24:45

Hi.  Since late December (IIRC), knetload and kcpuload have been imported into
KDE CVS (in kdeextragear-2).  I had planned to start working on converting
these apps into panel applets as requested on kde-devel at that time, with
the possible hope of eventually bringing them into the official KDE
distribution.

I've since discovered your knetmonapplet which basically seems to have done
this already.

How would you feel about merging the two projects and continuing to work from
the kdeextragear CVS, providing both CPU load and network load panel applets?

What I've done with kcpuload/knetload amongst other things is rearrange the
code so it's more maintainable and well documented, but more importantly so
that kcpuload and knetload can share as much code as possible (through
generic classes such as StatDock and StatPopup).  Others have also provided
patches for both kcpuload and knetload so that these apps can work under
operating systems other than linux+/proc.

So I guess what would be nice is if we could merge the projects to use your
applet code, split out code that's not netload-specific into separate classes
and then build a similar kcpuload applet around them, and also use the
statistics-collection classes from KDE CVS that have support for alternative
environments.

Of course I'll be happy to help out with this effort if you agree (I'm
currently looking after kcpuload/knetload in KDE CVS).

What do you think about this?

Ben. :)

--

Ben Burton
bab@debian.org

I've never felt anything that moves me as much as my piano. I'm
an emotional player. I don't really like people. I prefer my piano to people.
It's totally reliable and it's alive. I can hear what it's saying. For
the most part, piano are female to me. Sometimes they're dykes, and they're
always good fun.
	- Tori Amos, Mick St. Michael CD Booklet