List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: aRts vs JACK
From:       Jozef Kosoru <zyzstar () uid0 ! sk>
Date:       2003-02-19 17:06:31

> > IMHO the only way to get rid of the artsd problems is forget about it.
> > The whole aRts is desperately overdesigned and does not fulfil the
> > requirements of the nowadays audio applications anyway (low latency).
> > Any serious Linux audio application uses JACK or ALSA directly; since
> > arts blocks the dsp device all the time (and default autosuspend is too
> > long) it brings a lot troubles to everyone.
>
> I've been thinking about creating an output plugin for artsd, to use jack
> (assuming I ever finish my current arts project).  Would something like that
> even make sense?  I.e., would it address either of your concerns (which seem
> to be twofold: one, low latency and two, /dev/dsp sharing).

Yes, this seems to be the only way, although it adds one more layer to
each aRts-aware audio application. ...and not to talk about the other
problems. Unless JACK is a mandatory part of the KDE audio - nobody will
use it and nobody will use your KDE/JACK application (however good it
will be).

The correct solution (I know that it's just sci-fi) is to 'rm -rf arts'
and write the necessary API for the KDE from the scratch. aRts was the
KDE project mistake but now is a bit too late to make such a drastic
rewrite.

--
jozef kosoru [zyzstar] <zyzstar@uid0.sk>