List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ARTSd and constant CPU time chugging
From:       Jozef Kosoru <zyzstar () uid0 ! sk>
Date:       2003-02-19 9:10:21

> On Wednesday 19 February 2003 02:19 pm, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> > >Did you check Control Center->Sounds & Multimedia->Sound
> > > System->Autosuspend if idle for: xx sec ?
> >
> > Yes. It's not checked. ARTSD should still not consume CPU, whether or
> > not it's autosuspended.  If the autosuspension was invented to minimize
> > this problem, then it's a kludge created to patch a problem which should
> > have been fixed anyway.  What's the issue with using select() or
> > something that won't chug when there's nothing to do?
>
> It wasn't, it was "invented" to make it easy to share the sound device with
> non-arts-enabled apps.
>
> > 2. Why should I need to configure anything to have it work the way it
> > should do from the very start without configuration?  The computer
> > should be smart enough!

IMHO the only way to get rid of the artsd problems is forget about it.
The whole aRts is desperately overdesigned and does not fulfil the
requirements of the nowadays audio applications anyway (low latency).
Any serious Linux audio application uses JACK or ALSA directly; since
arts blocks the dsp device all the time (and default autosuspend is too
long) it brings a lot troubles to everyone.

--
jozef kosoru [zyzstar] <zyzstar@uid0.sk>