List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Extracting KDE 3.1 from CVS ?
From:       Marc Espie <espie () quatramaran ! ens ! fr>
Date:       2003-02-19 1:01:26

In article <3E52BC86.8020005@netspinner.co.uk> you write:
>This is fairly painful black magic. I'm surprised at how many details
>seem to be missing from the "how to check out KDE" guides.

This is fairly standard black magic. Most people coming in to play on kde
that have any experience of other projects use of cvs don't have any problem
adjusting.  The specific KDE_3_1_BRANCH vs. ARTS_1_1_BRANCH is about the
only gotcha. All the limitations come from cvs, which is still the only
free, functional repository system ins existence...

Granted, the learning curve is steep when you don't have previous experience
with cvs, and all people that already do either tend to take it for granted,
or have a mental block around the painful experience that cvs often is.

Documenting it would be good. In fact, this is the kind of things that is
best documented by a relative newcomer, who will not tend to skip over
`obvious' bits.

>What do people usually do ? Just checkout HEAD
>on the main trunk, and not worry about the branches ?

Depends what you want to do. At some point, you end up being schizoid,
especially when you need to fix bugs both on HEAD and on a stable branch.

And if you think that's complicated, you should try gcc. The kde repository
structure is downright minimalistic by comparison.