List:       kde-devel
Subject:    A killer app for KOffice/KDE?
From:       Adam Treat <manyoso () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-02-15 21:09:16

Hey All,

I was reading the slashdot article on David Stutz (the guy in charge of Rotor
... MS's Shared Source CLI) leaving Microsoft when I came across an
interesting quote:

"During this period, most core Microsoft products missed the Internet wave,
even while claiming to be leading the parade. Office has yet to move past the
document abstraction, despite the world's widespread understanding that
websites (HTML, HTTP, various embedded content types, and Apache mods) are
very useful things."

http://www.synthesist.net/writing/onleavingms.html

This started me thinking ...  KOffice (specifically KWord) can save documents
as HTML right now and wouldn't it be interesting to take this feature and
create a more ubiquitous network centric document publishing feature.  I am
talking about combining the formidable document creation/editing facilities
of the various KOffice apps and combining this with a web server/content
management suite to create a network centric office suite.

To be clear I am not talking about renting productivity software over the web
... rather the idea is to combine all the powerful office apps into super
powerful WikiWiki web editors and then to provide a KDE Kiosk mode that would
manage the templates/workflow/user rights of the repository for these
documents.

I'm sure many have thought of this kind of application before, but the
interesting part is using a powerful office suite as the editor and having it
built into the desktop.  Many people were using VNC before, but I think the
KDE desktop sharing feature will provide a surge in this kind of usage.
Similarly, if KOffice were to adopt this kind of idea, I think it could be
very powerful and serve as another valuable addition.

Do any of you think corporations or governments would like to see such an
application?  Do you think they would like to see such an application
integrated with a full office suite AND have that office suite fully
integrated into the desktop?  I do.  Perhaps I'm full of *&#^ here, but I
thought I'd see what everyone else thinks :)

Cheers,
Adam

PS Eric Laffoon has really got me syched about Quanta as a killer web
developer app for KDE.  Blame him :)