List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Small idea: programs useful when not logged in
From:       Stefano Borini <munehiro () ferrara ! linux ! it>
Date:       2003-02-15 12:44:39

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 09:08:57AM +0100, Pavel Troller wrote:

> > >Any comments?
> >
> > I'm not 100% sure that you understand how UNIX works.
> >
> > It isn't Windows.  To do something, you have to be logged in.
> >
> Hi!
>   I think I understand what he wants: For example, You can have a clock
> in the kdm window. This is de facto a small application, which can run for
> everybody - nobody has to be logged in to know what's the time.

just to add my .02 EUR... i think this _could_ be a good idea, but
should be followed in the deepest for security. Until you run a clock,
there's no problem. Worst could be the case when users access the
internet using this facility... since the unix user is the same (guest i
think) it could bring a lot of problems... Alternative approach: select
the user and run the browser/media player... bad. We are moving kdm to a
real desktop environment.
I think the better solution is really improve the login time, and a
"login as guest" button could solve the problem.