List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ACL's and konq
From:       Gary Greene <rei () tabris ! net>
Date:       2003-02-13 19:58:44

On Saturday 01 February 2003 11:29 am, Uno Engborg wrote:
> On Friday 31 January 2003 05.10, Gary Greene wrote:

> > > I'm not aware of it.
> >
> > Actually, I've been looking at the source to 3.1 to see how easy this
> > would be to add as a part of the permissions file/folder tab page dialog.

> > > Write it :)
> > >
> > > In KDE 2.2.2 there was a ACL tab in the file-properties dialog on
> > > systems that supported it (*BSD I think) Unfortunately we had to remove
> > > that code since the author refused to license it under a for KDE
> > > acceptable license. You can have a look with "cvs update
> > > -rKDE_2_2_BRANCH kdelibs/kfile/acl_prop_page" but you can't use that
> > > code due to its license.
> >
> > Adding another tab page would be counter-intuitive. I've been mulling
> > this over and the best way I could think of so far is to add a ACL button
> > to the perms page and then have a seperate dialog that is sorta like the
> > NT/2k/XP permissions dialog. This button would be completely hidden in
> > the case where the FS on the system didn't support ACLs. Thus elimnating
> > clutter and keeping the UI still usable.
>
> Sounds like a great idea!
> What FS types do you intend to support? Or can
> you do it in some generic way?

There should be a way to do this generically, with a few #ifdef lines for
various OS'/FS'. Especially after Linux standardizes the ACL architecture in
the 2.5.x kernel. On Linux it's easy, since the /etc/fstab MUST have acl on
the options section to enable the feature, all that should be needed then is
a small addition to the KDElibs to check the fstab for the proper infos and
then enable th button (probably by setting an environment variable.)

The main reason I dislike the other option that someone else had that we
should re-design the perms page to be like the security page on 2k/XP Pro is
that it would MUCH clumsier to use when the system DOESN'T have ACL support.
Once project1 for CS (God do I loath java) is finished, I'll start looking at
this a little deeper to see what I can whip up.

> Regards
> Uno Engborg

> >> unsubscribe <<

- --
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel.gvsu.edu
 12:12:51 up 25 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.05, 0.08
Founder and president of GVLUG:
 The Grand Valley Linux Users Group, the official LUG
 of Grand Valley State University.
Chief Systems Architect, S4, Inc. - OS Department.
 -=<http://www.s4linux.com/>=-
Project Lead for the Sentinel Linux OS Project (KOMODO)
PHONE : 331-0562
EMAIL : rei@tabris.net
        greeneg@student.gvsu.edu