List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE 3.1 on Mandrake 9.0.. some issues
From:       Sarang Lakare <sarang () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2003-02-08 3:45:05

Hi guys,

These are some issues of KDE 3.1 on Mandrake 9.0 using the club test RPMs. I
hope these are Mandrake related bugs and KDE dosn't have them. Anyway, I am
posting it here so that someone might find it useful:

Today I upgradet to KDE 3.1 using urpmi on the Mandrake Club test rpms. Here
are some observations:

1. urpmi needed the --wget switch. I guess the default file fetcher is curl
and it could not fetch the files. It seems like it did not understand or
could not use the login name/passwd. By passing --wget everytime I used any
of the urpm commands, things were fine. btw, I am not behind any firewall..
so thats not an issue.

2. Upgrade didn't go through the first time because I had Kile from 9.0
(Cotrib?) installed. Kile needs libkghostview.so (shouldn't this be
.so.something rather than just .so?) which is there in kdegraphics of KDE
3.0.x, but not in kdegraphics of KDE 3.1. After removing kile, upgrade went
smoothly. It also wanted libieee but that was in the 9.0 updates and got
installed auto.

3. File previews are broken. At first they were fine. But the moment I moved
my mouse over a video file (a large AVI file), kfm froze. I had to kill kfm.
I started it again, it showed the home directory, but froze again. I could
not use kfm. So I went into KDE control center -> Components -> File Manager
-> Previews and disabled previews for "file". kfm was then ok!

4. File previews over kio_sftp are also broken. After (3), I accessed my other
machine using sftp, and kfm again froze after showing the contents of hte home
directory. After disabling previews for  "sftp" as in (3) solved the problem.

5. Quanta (installed under KDE 3.0.x) crashes as others have already reported.
My main concern is that this is the same quanta that was working under KDE
3.0.x, but crashes now.. I hope this does not indicate some binary
incompatibility. Looks like Mandrake does not yet have rpm for quanta that
comes with KDE 3.1

6. Ftp is broken throughout KDE. I guess kio_ftp is broken. Whenever I try to
connect a ftp site, it tells me "cannot connect to host localhost".

7. Printing is severely broken in konqueror. Check how the print looks:
http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~lsarang/new/pub/broken_printing.png
I checked kwrite's printing and that was fine (although the default print font
was way too large!).

8. A trivial issue : KDE Control center is missing from the KDE menu. There is
a info center now. The info center only shows information, w/o any way to go
to the real control center from there. I feel the control center should be
moved back to the main kde menu as people are used to it being there.

I hope this bug report was useful. And thanks a lot for the RPMs. Great work.

Regards,
Sarang