List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt private includes used in KDE
From:       Maks Orlovich <mo002j () mail ! rochester ! edu>
Date:       2003-02-07 4:54:48

> It is much better to help TT solve their issues that you experience with
> the code than to use private header files. The same problem appeared with
> people deriving from existing styles instead of the plugin API.

Actually, that was a perfect example of packagers messing up good
programming practice -- one *recommended* in Qt documentation -- for 0
benefit for the users, and ton of headache for developers. A large amount
of code duplication (and much of it had to be rewritten manually, although
TT very kindly donated some of the relavant code) had to take place because
it was no longer possible to inherit off key classes like QWindowsStyle and
QMotifStyle. At this point, of course, it doesn't matter that much; but in
the hindsight I think it was a great mistake to support this configuration
at all.