List:       kde-devel
Subject:    i18n questions
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () virtualartisans ! com>
Date:       2003-01-28 11:47:56

Hi,

I experienced two not so common case in handling of internationalized strings.

1. In a dialog box created in QT Designer, I've added the elements to the
listboxes. These elements appears in the generated files like
tr2i18n( "bolder" ). But I do not want to translate them! Think about the
situation when inserting the font weight in a CSS, and you can select the
possible values from the listbox. If the texts are translated, the result
will be in Italian something like:
{
        font-weight: Grassetto marcato;
}

Is there a way to tell that I don't want to translate those listbox elements
(or revert the translation when I retrieve the currentText from the listbox),
or the only solution is to add one by one the elements from code, without
using i18n(...)?

2. I would like to read some strings from external files. What is the
recommended way to get those strings translated?
  a)  use I18N_NOOP to tell that those strings should be translated and use
i18n(QString_variable) in code (bad if the external files are from 3rd party)
  b) Read the translated strings from the external files (like in case of
.desktop files). In this case how should it done? Read the correct string
from the file by checking the current language of KDE and use the read string
in code without i18n?

Andras