List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Generating PDF's in kword: font problems
From:       "Claus O. Wilke" <wilke () caltech ! edu>
Date:       2003-01-26 22:36:18

What you are describing is actually a bug in the Acrobat Reader, rather than
in KDE. Acrobat Reader does a terrible job rendering bitmapped data on
screen. You get similarly horrible results if you include bitmapped graphics
(jpeg or png, for example) into pdf files. However, if the bitmapped data has
a sufficiently high resolution (say 600DPI or more), then these files print
fine, as you can verify when you print your example pdf on a decent printer.

Conclusion: Don't use Acrobat Reader (or complain with Adobe, and hope that
they care).

However, there is another bug here: For both Times New Roman and Arial, a
different font has been embedded (Times looks like Arial, and Arial looks
like Comic Sans). Comic Sans seems to be fine.

Claus

--
Claus Wilke

Mail Code 136-93, Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91125
Tel.: 626 395 2258, Fax: 626 395 2944
wilke@caltech.edu