List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ui enhancements
From:       Michael Kreitzer <kreitma () wku ! edu>
Date:       2003-01-26 18:43:34

On Sunday 26 January 2003 12:44 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> it isn't about stepping on some poor newbies toes, but about creating a
> system that is predictable, learnable and useful. most people use computers
> to get things done, not simply for the joy of using them (even though
> probably you and i both do =). when decisions to make something
> configurable are made by developers that hurt the ability for people (of
> any skill level) to use and learn the system, we are not improving KDE but
> rather we are degrading it.
>
> we don't win based on feature count, we win based on the quality of a
> user's experience. configurability is deffinitely a part of that; but it
> isn't anywhere near being even a large part of it.

I'm not actually disagreeing with this.

> >  Create a button and label it "Advanced."  Problem solved.
>
> there are often other approaches that can be used first, such as rethinking
> wording, lay out, choice of widgets, grouping and, yes, removal / hiding of
> options. the advanced button/tab should really be a last resort, it isn't a
> magic hammer.

Perhaps not a magic hammer, but I don't see how it could be considered a bad
idea.  I'll discuss that later.

> > If the newbie gets his poor
> > underused mind in a twist 'cause he clicked the "Advanced" he has no one
> > to blame but himself.
>
> please don't blame the users. for anyone who hasn't done this and designs
> UIs: watch some really bright people use computers for an extended peroid
> of time. go to your University and watch some of the bright professors use
> their computers; it becomes rapidly obvious that this isn't a "stupid
> users" problem. it's a "stupid programmers" problem when we don't make
> tools that work properly and elegantly for the intended purpose.

Funny you should mention this, 'cause my current job is a student worker in a
University department helping these bright professors use these machines :).
The guy who worked there before me thought it would be a great idea to
disable the feature in Microsoft Office that provides simplified menus unless
you click on the little down arrow at the bottom of the menu.  After a little
while of working there I set it back.  Support requests and complaints
regarding Office have since dropped by quite a bit.  Those that know how to
use it do, those that don't barely even realize the "advanced" menus are
there, and quite frankly couldn't care less.  I DOES prevent confusion.

Oh... and programmers aren't neccessarily UI designers.... so I wouldn't call
the programmer stupid ;).

> > Forcing users who want to and do know what they are
> > doing to resort to code modification to get desired changes is NOT a
> > "Good Thing."
>
> some ideas for configuration are patently absurd and should be avoided.
> just because we can code something doesn't necessarily mean we should.

Agreed.

> on the other hand, there's no point to lock things down too much. a power
> tweaker's tool is very possible and will, i'm guessing, make those
> tweak-hungry people (the vast minority, btw) happier. not every option
> needs to be thrown in every user's face by placing it in KControl. what
> would you think about such a tool? (you can search the kde-usability
> archives for kconfedit if you want to see the dicussions about it)

I'm kinda undecided about such a tool.  One of the things I thought about is a
way to have a way to customize certain things via a "Change This" button or
something similar next to everythign that can be changed.  Use perhaps a
small symbol placed intelligently along with other menu options.  Maybe use a
certain key press + mouse click combination.  I.E. press the button and click
on the text on an icon and viola.. all configuration options for text under
icons appears.  Another way of doing it is have a button on the task bar.
When you click that button the mouse cursor changes and anything you click on
will open up all related configuration options for it.  It's a very basic
idea I haven't thought out very well, but I believe it could work if done
correctly.  You'd have all advanced configuration options available via that,
and all your basic ones under the control center.  Heck this might even be
part of that tweakkde thing :).

> > Configurability and ease of use do not have to be mutually
> > exclusive.
>
> agreed! they don't have to be, but they can be. and that's the entire trick
> =)
>
> > Give the users multiple levels of abstraction and allow them to
> > select the one they are comfortable with.
>
> this gets suggested often and is often one of the first suggestions offered
> for this problem. it's even been tried in the real world. the reason why
> you don't see user levels used everywhere is:
>
>                                                            it doesn't work.

As I mentioned earlier... I don't really agree with this... but there might be
better ways.  Thank you for a good counterargument :).

Michael Kreitzer