List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kcontrol reorganization (was: UI enhancements)
From:       daniele () www ! dcs ! it
Date:       2003-01-26 14:44:19

In data 1/26/2003, "Stefano Borini" <munehiro@ferrara.linux.it> ha scritto:
>as already stated, nested tabwidget are the worst approach in terms of
>usability.

It's agreed, it was just a hint.

>The option you suggested, with more levels of user pratice, could be
>interest but it has a mere defect: it classifies users in classes.
>Reading this approach lead the user to the need to classify him/herself
>in one category. If some user plan to be "advanced" and it make a real
>mess using that tab, the result is "a machine told me i'm too stupid to
>access this dialog". This is not what we need.

Ok, agreed.
As I stated in another reply, change the point of view and call them "basic
configuration", "advanced configuration" and "expert configuration", if you
prefere. The name of the items is a matter that I'd leave to the usabilty
experts, the point of my message was about a more convenient way for
organizing things up.

>generally i agree. The kcontrol setting maybe need some way of
>smooth reordering. The general idea is not so bad, but sometimes
>searching some option is quite complex even for an expert user.

And that's exactly why they should be reorganized :)
I'd love all the font stuff to be in the same module, or at least in modules
within the same parent node, for example.

>Every time i see a disabled tab i look for the way to activate it.
>I think disable must be used with care.

agreed, but there's no point if you get rid of tabs :)

>Popping up a dialog is the paradigm
>that should be used only when something very nasty is happening: the
>hard disk is full, the ppp connection hanged up, the processor is on fire.
>Any other use of this image is only a waste of time, clicks and
>patience.

I may agree with you.
Also in this case, I'm not a UI expert at all.
With popo a dialog I meant that we should find a way to explicitly tell the
user "there is no reason why you **should** access this options, but if you
want there's no reason why you shouldn't".
Again, usability experts (poor guys :-) could find a convenient way to
achieve this result.

Daniele