List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Notify all networked applications of pending network disconnect?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-26 14:13:36

On Sunday 26 January 2003 12:49, Richard Moore wrote:
> Volker Augustin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > from time to time I shutdown my internet connection. However, this leads
> > to problems with applications that currently have an online connection
> > such as kopete and applications that open network connections regularly
> > but freak out when no such connection is possible (such as kmail -
> > popping up these annoying messages telling me that the server cannot be
> > reached).
> >
> > What I would like to have (integrated in SuSE's kinternet for example) is
> > a way to notify all applications that the network WILL go down. I would
> > expect kopete and ksirc to disconnect, kmail to terminate all imap
> > connections etc.
> >
> > Is this already possible somehow (using dcop for example)?
> >
> > Volker
>
> This has been discussed before, and the problem is quite complex. The
> main problem is that it needs to be specific to a particular network
> interface.

The main problem is that nodoby wrote a KDE API that applications can use.
(kdenonbeta/knetmgr was a good attempt though) After that you can worry how
the rest of your system can inform said KDE API about any change.

If you make the API, the rest will come.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com