List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ui enhancements
From:       Greg Day <gregday () ecsis ! net>
Date:       2003-01-24 0:47:46

On Thursday 01-23-2003 5:29 pm, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> I will agree that the drop shadow looks better, but the outline will be
> better if you have a background that have areas that is the same color
> as the text, as you will still be able to read the text. (same effect
> is often used for subtitles on tv) And i think the increased
> readability was one of his goals.

From what I have seen under WindowsXP and OSX, the drop shadow behind icons is
thick and dark enough to contrast the text color, regardless of the
background.  It is not a light and extremely fuzzy shadow.  It serves the
purpose of being a sharp enough outline but not a distracting edge around the
text.  So it is both more readable and better looking too.

I'd rather have a drop shadow than a sharp outline.

greg