List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ui enhancements
From:       Laur Ivan <laur.ivan () corvil ! com>
Date:       2003-01-23 19:00:45

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 18:03, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Laur Ivan wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My name is Laur Ivan and I've coded a couple of visual enhancements for
> > KDE (http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=4750). Can you please
> > have a look and tell me what you think?
>
> Tss, it was just three days ago that I had a look at some GNOME2
> screenshot and thought, how great it would be to have that shadowed
> desktop icon names for KDE, too... :)

After Kde3.1..? in 3.1.1/3.2 ? :)

> Maybe it would be a good idea to collect the code under some kind of
> KFontEffects or KFontArt (along KIconEffect) that would return the final
> pixmap. So this would be available in a lot of places in KDE.
>
> Could be
> KFontEffect::shadow(...)
> KFontEffect::strongOutline(...)
> KFontEffect::jumpingChars(...)
> KFontEffect::...
>
> Only problem may be that the resulting pixmap can/will be of different
> size than the one with pure text. But that might be catched at some
> reasonable point, I guess.
This is a really good idea! it would be really nice to have font FX as
well as icon FX. This would open the way for a more decent "selected"
status for various items... But I'd go for QImage instead of QPixmap
since I had some problems drawing a font over a shadow in a QPixmap
painter...

> I have no idea though how to combine different effects, like, say
> strongOutline() with shadow()... code doubling until SVG comes in?

...with jumpingChars()... ouch! :)

Laur

--
Laur Ivan                                       Tel  : +353-1-6674336
Software Design Engineer                        eMail: