List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Starting KDE
From:       Claes Holmerson <claes () it-slav ! net>
Date:       2003-01-23 11:32:46

What you can try is to do xinit (instead of startx) from the console and
then you should get up a very basic X with no window managers or anything,
only an xterm.  In this xterm you can type startkde.

I did this to test the recent kde beta. For some reason startx did not
work for me, I don't remember why. xinit let me try it, but it was only
useful for test purposes. If you kill the initial xterm, kde will go down.

Claes