List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-3.1.1 under RedHat 8.0
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2003-01-13 13:23:27

> is there a way to compile qt-x11-free-3.1.1 under Redhat 8.0
> (gcc-3.2-7)? I tried this for a week now, but get no solution to solve
> the problems I'm running in. It seems to me that there's an
> incompatibility between the libXft Qt wants and the installed packages
> Xft2 and Xft from XFree86-libs installed from RedHat by default.

The only relatively simple way that has worked for me is to compile the
.src.rpm from rawhide. Most of rawhide stuff compiles fine on RH8.0.

# cd /pub/linux/redhat/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS
# #assuming you have a local mirror of rawhide
# rpmbuild --rebuild qt-3.1.1-4.src.rpm
# cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
# rpm -ihv qt-3.1.1-4.i386.rpm --force
# #so that both qt 3.0.x and 3.1.x will end up being installed
# #alternatively, try rpm -Uhv to simply upgrade

You may also need to upgrade fontconfig. A rebuild of fontconfig may be needed
to work with rh8's older xfree86.

Cheers, Kuba Ober