List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Structure in $HOME
From:       Andy Fawcett <andy () athame ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-01-13 7:05:11

Hi,

Not following up to Tim in particular, but to the thread in general...

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 01:53, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Monday 13 January 2003 00:35, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > creating a .cache/ we should just use /var/cache/  My main
> > objection to this is that system applications data/settings/etc are
> > suppost to use that and user data/settings/etc are really for
> > $HOME.  If there is no reason why any other user should see it, it
> > should be in the users home directory.
>
> Permissions are the right way to handle this (and are already used in
> /tmp, not everything in /tmp is readable by all users!).

So far in this thread, I've seen discussion about the FHS, and people
looking at all this from the Linux point of view.

If there are changes to be made to all this, they should comply with the
established standards on _all_ our supported platforms. For example,
the directory hierarchy on *BSDs is fairly rigidly defined, and has
been for a long long time. And there's as much chance of this hierarchy
changing as there is of snow in hell. On FreeBSD alone, it is defined
by hier(7), for which we have a manpage dated back in 1993.

The /var/cache idea wouldn't work on FreeBSD, because that directory is
not allowed as defined in "man 7 hier".

Whatever is decided, it must be a portable solution.

A.

--
Andy Fawcett                                     | andy@athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap@lspace.org