List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Structure in $HOME
From:       Benjamin Meyer <ben () meyerhome ! net>
Date:       2003-01-12 23:35:11

On Sunday 12 January 2003 5:10 pm, Luis Pedro Coelho wrote:
> Em Segunda 13 Janeiro 2003 15:37, Tim Jansen escreveu:
> > 1. I agree that .etc/.var makes sense.
>
> Why keep the Unixisms? I still don't understand why it is called /etc. Why
> not .config ? We should get a better name for .var as well. Since it is
> still a bit on the table what it is, I really have no better name for it
> right now.

I would have to second this.  The only thing that I don't want to see is using
".etc" and ".var".  The reason being that applications then might sprinkle
their configs all over .config just like they love to do in /.  I love (and
most users love) the fact that to reset application foo you normally only
have to just delete .foo/  I guess you could even say that the current kde
way isn't all that great sense it is harder to remove all of the settings for
a specific application.  Someone noted that rather then creating a .cache/ we
should just use /var/cache/  My main objection to this is that system
applications data/settings/etc are suppost to use that and user
data/settings/etc are really for $HOME.  If there is no reason why any other
user should see it, it should be in the users home directory.

-Benjamin Meyer