List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] kdenonbeta/kopete/protocols
From:       Benjamin Meyer <ben () meyerhome ! net>
Date:       2003-01-03 6:12:48

> Sorry, I didn't know Kinkatta was still around. I enquired as to a KDE3
> port and was told Kinkatta was dead (can't remember who by tho),
> *shrug*.

Well it isn't dead.  I got it to 1.0 status and am happy with it.  Creating
the embedded version and porting it to kde3 was really the only things I have
done to it in the last year.  Hardly news worthy.  Begs the question though.
If something isn't activly developed, but works is it dead?

> AOL threatened to sue you? Fun. Was it for a name violation? They
> haven't gone after anyone for OSCAR support, including GAIM.

It was for the name violation + anything else.  They baggered me for about a
year to make sure I complied with "anything else".  Finally I simply got them
to say that I was ok.  Sufice it to say it was more then I ever cared to have
happen  for something that I worked on in my spare time.  I don't plan on
extending Kinkatta all that much due to AOL (CVS does have plugin support and
many other cool things for those that care).  I don't really like that all my
hard work in my spare time can be pulled at a whim of aol if they really
wanted.  I don't see how supporting any closed protocal is good in the long
run.  So if I ever do create/work on another im client it will be a jabber
client which has its own protocal and can connect to the other protocals
secondary.

-Benjamin Meyer