List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] kdenonbeta/kopete/protocols
From:       Benjamin Meyer <ben () meyerhome ! net>
Date:       2003-01-03 0:44:32

> > TOC is:
> > a) losing features day by day (yes, features are actually
> > *disappearing*), b) often broken (many login troubles can be traced down
> > to TOC breakage), c) superseded by OSCAR, which we have a perfectly fine
> > library for, d) not used by any serious IM client but ours, making us
> > somewhat of a joke among the IM world (you have no idea the amount of
> > shit I got until Kopete got OSCAR support, and still do because TOC's
> > still there), e) useless.

Well I will have to take offence to statement D.  I am the author of Kinkatta
which is a aim client that uses TOC.  Although Kinkatta can't transfer file
or get *icons* I think that the client is pretty darn good.  Some of the
applications's design is a little ruff, but it was a learning project.  But
above all else *I* didn't leave the Linux community with yet another half
finshed application.  Kinkatta reached 1.0 stable.  Yes there is a bunch in
cvs if I ever release 1.1, but 1.0 is out and released.  I know plenty of
people who use Kinkatta and use it because they don't care to have something
that is buggy or crashes on them.  I used TOC because I didn't care to play
the legal game especially after AOL thretened to sue me.

-Benjamin Meyer

Honestly I don't really see the point of including anything other then a
Jabber client in KDE.