List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ADMIN: Re: PROPOSAL: Drop aKtion from KDE kdemultimedia package
From:       Marc Espie <espie () quatramaran ! ens ! fr>
Date:       2002-12-30 10:36:41

On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 06:30 PM, Neil Stevens wrote:
> And if the only thing mplayer does that xine doesn't is proprietary
> codecs
> on i386 only, then the thing is not appropriate for KDE to depend upon.

Actually there's a good reason to allow mplayer around: mplayer currently
works on OpenBSD. Xine does not.

Unless you are volunteering to make a port of xine that would work on
OpenBSD ?  There's at least a bad linker bug that breaks the plugins,
and last time I looked, there was some multi-threading issue to fix
as well... both are tough, since they probably need expertise in
ld.so/library internals, and gdb won't help with either of these.