List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Installing FCPackage from source
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-29 21:09:18

David Jarvie wrote:
> On Sunday 29 Dec 2002 12:59 am, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Attached is a description of my adventures in installing FCPackage-2.1.
>>
>>I left out all of the mistakes. :-)
>>
>>I think that if you follow these instruction that it will work.  But, if
>>you have problems, please advise.
>

> I installed it in a slightly different way which is a bit simpler.
<SNIP>
> I installed Freetype2 into /usr, and didn't have to remove anything, or do any
> special copying of Xft.h
>
>     ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install

Yes it is a little easier to install it in: "/usr" but I like to put most things built from
source in: "/usr/local/".

<SNIP>

>>9.  Install: "Xft1":
>

>     xmkmf && make && make install
>
>     (My xmkmf doesn't allow the -a option.)

That is odd.  If you don't use the: "-a" option you are supposed to execute:

	make makefiles

but that appears to be redundant in this case.

<SNIP>

>>And, now we come the the: "Xft.h" problem.
>

> /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h on my system was identical to
> fcpackage.2_x/fontconfig/Xft/Xft.h without any need for copying.

Yes, that is correct.  The install of the new version of Xft[1] does not install an: "Xft.h".

--
JRT