List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-3.1.1 under RedHat 8.0
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-28 23:56:32

Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> On Onsdag den 25. december 2002 08:17, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Just exactly what are: "the system dirs"?  Is: "/usr/X11R6/" one of
>>them?
>

> Yes it is. I consider any directory already on the system as being a
> system directory. I installed qt3 in /usr/local/qt3 and kde cvs in
> /usr/local/kde-cvs. If i need to uninstall them i could just remove
> those 2 directories.

It is a good idea to install KDE in its own directory (which is why I put it in: /usr/kde3) if
you are using CVS because you sometimes wind up with 'orphan' files that you need to remove, and
in the worst case, you can clear the directory.

Qt is properly installed in "/usr/local/qt-3.x.x" but you can always remove it by deleting the
directory no matter where it is because it is all in one directory.

I have found that most packages now have a: "make uninstall" available which will remove them
just as: rpm -e" will.

The contents of the "/usr/X11R6/" directory on the other hand can be a problem.  It might need
to be checked by hand even if you only use RPMs.  There are two specific warnings that I have
found so far:

	Old versions of FreeType2
	Old version of zlib

Probably RedHat has fixed the problems, but it might be a good think to be on the look out for.