List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: comments / issues / and thoughts mentioned by a new linux/kde
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-26 0:10:03

(Note for kde-devel: please keep me or kopete-devel on CC, I don't read
kde-devel)

On Wednesday 25 December 2002 22:40, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> >kopete (common):
> >- if you're online and have multiple groups, there's sometimes one group
> >  having 3/8 online (as shown in group node) but only one shown
>
> (interesting)
>
> I noticed that too.. that's because we are changing some things...
> I havent time to working on this, maybe martijn will done

I haven't seen this myself yet. Olivier, any idea what's happening there? How
to reproduce for example?

> > - if "group similar tasks" is enabled and you've multiple clients you're
> >  actually talking with you see only one icon (of course) at the task
> > bar's representation. This icon should be the kopete icon rather any of
> > the client's protocol's one. (usability issue)
>
> I don't think it is currently possible to change this icon.
> Maybe a wish for Kicker / TaskBar

No, that is possible. I'd need to mail Lubos or kwin-devel _how_ it should be
done, since Kopete has multiple main windows for chats (why dialogs don't get
their task bar entry is beyond me, it's the only real reason besides being
able to use XMLGUI why we are no longer using KDialogBase). Anyway, it's
possible.

> > - meta contacts should be shown as branch (sub tree) when it owns
> > multiple sub contacts (even if they're e.g. icq only contacts) -
> > otherwise you've to rightclick that meta contact and select that sub
> > contact you wish to contact actually - not good (usability issue)
>
> That was the cases before, but we removed that because all actions are
> avaliable without
> - You can see the sub contact displayname via the tool-tip on the protocol
> icon
> - You can chat with a selected protocol by clickin on the protocol icon
>
> But if you think it is better to keep a sub tree with contacts items your
> opinion is welcome
> (i personaly preferred also the old system)

Personally I still fail to see _why_ one would need to access the various
contacts directly. If you need to there are usability issues elsewhere. The
only one I'm aware of is that you can't select a preference for protocols
yet, so if you click on a contact that has both an ICQ and an MSN account you
cannot specify which protocol to pick, other than clicking the contact icon
directly.

However, these issues don't mean the branch should return, which looks
horrible, and as with all trees something generally only power users really
understand and like. Instead, it means that we should address the _real_
issues and make them more accessible from the meta contact directly.

> >- disable (hide) smileys at toolbar, too, when it's disabled at config
> >  (just missing / bug / usability issue)
>
> Great idea. I added this button with the new chat windows (but it didn't
> work then someone removed it) But we will certainly re-add it

One note: hiding widgets is considered bad GUI design. Instead just disable
them.

--
Martijn