List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-3.1.1 under RedHat 8.0
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2002-12-25 20:29:30

On Onsdag den 25. december 2002 08:06, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> As I said, I installed 'FCPackage' from source.  I installed all four
> packages in: "/usr/X11R6/" because that appears to be where Qt
> expects to find them.  Also, I used the: "Xft.h" from Xft[2].

Which is a no-go for many. I for one do not want self compiled software
in the system dirs. If i was to place it there, i would have to make an
rpm first, which im too lazy to figure out how to do.

> > In a standard redhat 8 installer there are no
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.2.
>
> The RPM: "Xft-2.0-1.i386.rpm" contains the files:
>
> /usr/lib/libXft.so.2
> /usr/lib/libXft.so.2.0
>
> So you need to make a link.
>
> 	/usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so -> /usr/lib/libXft.so.2

Or just tell it to link to /usr/lib/libXft2.so instead by changing the
-lXft to -lXft2.

> > The only Xft in /usr/X11R6, as far as i can
> > tell, is an old version coming with XFree. The Xft rpms installed
> > the libraries to /usr/lib and the headers in /usr/lib/Xft2
>
> Yes, the headers you need are in: "/usr/include/Xft2/X11/Xft/"
>
> You need to make sure that Qt finds the correct: "Xft.h".  The
> easiest way to ensure this is to make the links:

Or pass -I to configure if you don't want to make any links, which i
dont unless i need to.

> > I added a -I /usr/include/Xft2 when running configure,
>
> The problem with this is that Qt might find:
> "/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h" since: "/usr/X11R6/include" is
> already on the search path.

Thats no problem as there are no /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h unless
you installed it there yourself, which you did. The only Xft.h on a
standard redhat 8 system is /usr/include/Xft2/X11/Xft/Xft.h

> > and then ran this
> > command after configured finished. (from the qt toplevel dir)
> >
> > find . -name "Makefile" | xargs perl -pi -e 's/-lXft/-lXft2
> > -lfontconfig/g'
>
> If you make the link for: "libXft.so" as stated above, then you won't
> need to do this.

You don't need to add the 2, but you still need to make it link to
fontconfig as it doesnt do this by itself, at least not an my
non-tweaked redhat 8 system.

> > And then it compiled and linked just fine.
>
> As I said somewhere else: are you certain as to which: "Xft.h" was
> used to build Qt?

As stated above, i only have one Xft.h on the entire system

Unlike you, i managed to compile qt3 without changing anything on my
system, but just by adding a -I option to configure and fixing the
makefiles. You even caused trobles for yourself by installing FCPackage
from source and hence have multiple Xft.h files, which i don't. Sure
your way works too, but it is not as clean, and not as easy IMO.

Mvh
Troels