List:       kde-devel
Subject:    comments / issues / and thoughts mentioned by a new linux/kde user
From:       Christian Parpart <cparpart () surakware ! net>
Date:       2002-12-25 1:32:47

Hi all,

I've installed a linux with kde on a machine with previousely windows. This
was for my friend a few weeks ago.

Now she collected a list of issues raised while "learning" with linux/kde.
The kde ones are probably more interesting right here - see below.

I've installed kde from cvs-head, because 3.0.4 produced to many unexpected
behaviors and had to many missing features she requested.

While you could reply with "WTF is she using head?" I could argue with "this
still seems more stable than 3.0.4 on her system" serious, but true.

I'm also posting this _this_ list because the issues do not only belong to
kopete nor just to konqueror nor ...

kopete (aim):
	- auto connect for aim at startup doesn't seem to work (bug?)
	- when another aim client talks to you and you've set color on (e.g. red)
	  you see the other client's html instead of his colored message he
	  send (bug?)
kopete (msn):
	- when you delete a msn group it doesn't seem so on next kopete start
	  http://cparpart.surakware.net/public/aki-shots/screen4.png (bug?)
kopete (common):
	- if you're online and have multiple groups, there's sometimes one group
	  having 3/8 online (as shown in group node) but only one shown (interesting)
	- if the main widget width is to small, the nick names gets displayed shorter
	  (like "myname...") but if you've more user identities (aim,icq,icq,msn) for
	  one such user and still a small width it may be that you'll never see his
	  display name and just the protocol icons for the client accounts that user
	  owns. This is not helpfull.  (usability issue)
	- if "group similar tasks" is enabled and you've multiple clients you're
	  actually talking with you see only one icon (of course) at the task bar's
	  representation. This icon should be the kopete icon rather any of the
	  client's protocol's one. (usability issue)
	- meta contacts should be shown as branch (sub tree) when it owns multiple
	  sub contacts (even if they're e.g. icq only contacts) - otherwise you've to
	  rightclick that meta contact and select that sub contact you wish to
	  contact actually - not good (usability issue)
	- disable (hide) smileys at toolbar, too, when it's disabled at config
	  (just missing / bug / usability issue)
	- notification doesn't work properly for already spawned conversation widgets
	  (bug?)
kmail:
	- on startup, you get the last mails send (/replied/edited) opened again
	  (bug)
	- kmail should look for new mails on startup immediately, this would probably
	  an option/switch in the config dialog, or should be automatically done, if
	  intervall checking is enabled (feature request / usability issue)
	- if (auto) sign mails is enabled you repeatily get the sign window (while
	  editing a mail) ("Result of last encryption/signing") (bug)
konqueror:
	- "move to" / "copy to" seems to be not available (at least on her cvs
	  snapshot, while it's still available at mine - interesting)
	  (bug? / removed feature?)
ksnapshot:
	- a systray icon or applyet for instant shots would be really helpfull
	  (usability issue / feature request)
kicker:
	- application widgets (like kopete conversation widgtets) could get the
	  users intention when its taskbar representation gets colored (sorry, miss
	  the right word for, I mean, like that windows in win32 do, too)

I hope I didn't forget anything :o)

Merry Christmas,
Christian Parpart.