List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-3.1.1 under RedHat 8.0
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-24 3:36:55

John Bell wrote:
> The following is what's actually required:
>
> Firstly, DON'T make a libXft.so link to libXft2!  This will only cause further
> confusion.

I didn't say to do that.  I said to make a link:

	/usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so -> /usr/lib/libXft.so.2.0

NOTE: if you install the FCPackage, you will have:

[root@localhost lib]# ls -l libXft.so*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Dec 18 12:17 libXft.so -> libXft.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Dec 18 12:17 libXft.so.1 -> libXft.so.1.2
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        60571 Nov 25 01:08 libXft.so.1.2
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Dec 18 12:17 libXft.so.2 -> libXft.so.2.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        77681 Dec 18 12:21 libXft.so.2.0

The: "libXft2.so" label is a RedHat invention.

This *is* going to cause problems with OLD packages that require: Xft[1] if they aren't linked
against a specific library version.

On the other hand, if you patch Qt to use Xft2 then you are going to have to patch every new
package that uses Xft (which uses version 2) as well.  So, you need to consider whether backward
compatibility or forward compatibility is more important.

> Attached are some patches and a build script I used.  Note that the script
> expects the source archive to be in /usr/local/src/sources and the patches in
> /usr/local/src/sources/qt-x11-free-3.1.1-patches.  I have my installscripts
> in /usr/local/src/sources/installscripts.  The build installs under
> /usr/local/qt.  The odd recopying of the archive files is to get over a
> shortcoming of qmake (it stupidly strips symbols from .a archives).
>
> I'm pretty sure this is all that I did and it works fine for me on RH8.0.

Are you certain which version of the: "Xft.h" header you build Qt with?