List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Blocks shown instead of characters in Konqueror
From:       Volker Augustin <volker.augustin () perfektionismus ! de>
Date:       2002-12-23 12:30:45

Volker Augustin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running SuSE Linux 8.1 with an update KDE 3.0.4. As of recently (it
> might have been after the update to 3.0.4) some characters do not show in
> konqueror anymore. e.g. if you start up konqueror in web browsing mode, on
> the top border of the viewing area there is a grey section with three
> arrows on the left side. All text in this area is shown as white squares
> only. The same is true for every text on the google and on the openoffice
> website as well as the program title sections on apps.kde.com. Does anyone
> have the same problem, is there a way to solve this? Do I have reinstall
> KDE or X completely? If I create a new user on my system, he has the
> problem as well. However, root does not have the problem.
> Any ideas?

I fixed the problem. Reason:

Last week I installed M$ truetype fonts using kfontinst in system
administration mode. It seems kfontinst generated the afm files with read
permissions for the user only, i.e. for root. After changing permissions it
works ok. Maybe someone should have a look at kfontinst.

Cheers,
Volker