List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New apps KCPULoad / KNetLoad for CVS?
From:       Ben Burton <bab () debian ! org>
Date:       2002-12-22 0:23:48

> Even if you succeed with active desktop borders, that was only one example why
> it doesn't work as "window". Why this pop-up on click at all? How many people
> want to keep it open? Why not simply a tooltip on mouse-over like for kmix?

If other people agree that a tooltip is a better idea, I'd actually
prefer it as well so I'm happy to go with that.  I'd also prefer to make
such a change *after* the CVS import so the history of changes is easily
accessible and muckups can be reverted easily.

> Ask around how many people know that. The popups of knote and kmix go away if
> you click anywhere else. Btw click on KOrganizer icon starts a new instance.

Sure.  Currently a right-click on the popup will also close it; a left click
won't because the left mouse button moves it around the screen so you
can sit it in your favourite corner or whatever.  But if
we go with a tooltip then this all becomes irrelevant anyway.

> You asked to put them into modules which get released as "KDE".

Um, no.  I asked to import to CVS.  I explicitly stated that I didn't
mind whether they went into official modules or into extragear/etc.

> I find it
> valid to point you to interface and usability concerns and utter ideas to
> fix them. I know that you are not originator for those but you want to be
> maintainer of it and, cause of this discussion, to be included into KDE.

Sure, and I do actually appreciate your comments (and I hope they keep
coming).  I was merely trying to refocus on the question of "can we do a
CVS import at all" since it's far more convenient to fix these bugs and
change fundamental design decisions from *within* CVS.

> It seems you have problems with public criticism before its inclusion. :-|

Um, no, not at all.  Again if you read my previous email you'll note I
encouraged you to continue discussing issues on which we disagree in
public forums such as this.

What I *do* have a problem with is being pressured to fix every bug and
design problem *before* importing.  CVS is, after all, there for
development, not simply for archiving a finished product.

All I was trying to do was drag the conversation back to the original
question of "can we import?", which in the nicest possible way you
seemed to be moving further away from by starting to list off small bugs
that you and I both agree on and that clearly would be fixed anyway.

Ben. :)